Every year, mountains receive tens of millions of tourists (more than 150 million in the Alps alone). It is therefore very important that hotel and restaurant owners can implement initiatives to reduce their energy consumption, with a sustainable development approach. Within this context, the Alpine Convention has published a good practices guide for mountain hotels in order to improve their energy efficiency.
Near the Rosengarten massif in South Tyrol in Italy, the managers of the Cyprianerhof Hotel are committed to ecology.
They have increased their energy efficiency and minimized waste.
What measures have been implemented?
The measures adopted include:
- The development of a circular economy: To reduce the amount of energy that can be avoided and to preserve limited natural resources, since 2000, the Cyprianerhof hotel uses a wood-fired boiler for the heating, a renewable raw material that comes from the region. In addition, the renovation and transformation work of the hotel is done using materials from the region.
- Local meals: To reduce transport emissions, the managers of the Hotel Cyprianerhof buy fresh food from local suppliers and prepare their own jams for the hosts’ breakfast.
- Awareness of the guests: The owners also try to make their guests aware of the sustainable development importance by inviting them, for example, not to change their towel every day and use their own bath sandals, to avoid using plastic sandals which have a short lifespan.
- An energy audit: The Cyprianerhof hotel establishment has set up an energy management system that extends to the whole hotel in order to set up a systematic energy management system covering all areas of the hotel. The energy audit allows to take advantage of long-term improvement potential.
- A question of choice: Environmental and climate protection is constantly at the heart of the concerns of the managers of the Hotel Cyprianerhof. With each decision or purchase, the environment and sustainable development are now for them an important criteria.
What are the benefits gained so far?
Energy efficiency offers many advantages for hotels and restaurants in mountain areas:
- An increased comfort: Having well-insulated, airtight window frames reduces drafts, which is appealing to guests. By installing flow regulators on the shower heads, in order to reduce water consumption, the managers put in place a measure that effectively reduces energy consumption and costs without compromising the comfort of the hosts.
- Costs reduction: Saving energy means spending less money. Reducing energy costs is often accompanied by reduced maintenance costs. For example, ventilation is provided with a heat recovery system and an electric service station is installed in the car park.
- A healthier environment: A reduction in energy production reduces CO2 emissions and preserves natural resources. In order to reinforce the sustainability and ecological character of their establishment, the hoteliers of the Cyprianerhof Hotel produce, for example, their own soap. In addition, they do not use plastic packaging for foodstuffs.
- Time saving: LEDs lights need to be replaced less often than conventional bulbs. They allow employees to save time.
- Risk reduction: With a lower current in the electric cable, the risk of electrical fire is reduced.
For more information:
- Read the complete report with numerous other examples of energy efficiency for the hotel and restaurant “Alpine Energy” (available in French, Italian, German and Slovenian here)
28 April 2017