We offer: an interesting and challenging experience to lead the Brussels’s office of a well-established European association (25 years).
Our structure: Euromontana is the European association for cooperation and development of mountain areas. Created as a non-profit organisation in 1996, it now has about 65 members in 15 European States, in and outside the EU. Its aims are to promote mountain territories as territories with a future and to improve the quality of life of mountain populations, building on sustainable development models. To achieve these aims, Euromontana represents mountain communities to European institutions (European Commission, Parliament, Council…), conducts promotion actions (communication, events), organises cooperation among its members (networking and projects), and contributes to studies on sustainable mountain development. Operating with a small secretariat (2-4 people including trainees, from different origins), a key priority is to network with member organisations to assemble knowledge from different mountain regions and to make this available to decision-makers and mountain people. For more information, consult www.euromontana.org
Position: Interim Director. You will act as the Interim Director, under the responsibility of the President and Board of Directors. Your responsibilities will include:
- Management of the association:
- Team management: encourage dynamic and efficient functioning of the small team through clear organisation of tasks, monitoring of progress and priority setting.
- Financial management: financial and administrative management including accountancy management, relations with auditors and fund-raising activities.
- Coordination of governance structures: organisation of meetings of the Board of Directors and General assembly.
- Network coordination and development: interact with Euromontana members inside the network and with other organisations outside the network, with a view to increase the network’s visibility and develop membership base, provide services to members upon request and manage fee payments.
- Advocacy and representation of mountain interests: represent directly Euromontana and support elected members of the Board of Directors in their different representational duties, in different meetings and expert groups (examples: Civil Dialogue Groups, ENRD, RUMRA & Smart Villages Intergroup…). Follow-up of regulatory and policy developments related to major European policies of interest for sustainable mountain development, in coherence with priorities set by the Board of directors. Steer consultative processes to elaborate commonly agreed position papers. Coordinate working or focus groups. Promote Euromontana’s position in all relevant fora and consultations.
- Strategic and financial management of European projects in which the association is engaged, monitor and support the work of the project manager of the on-going projects; contribute to the strategic development of project ideas and applications under the programmes of interest to Euromontana, inter alia INTERREG, HORIZON Europe, LIFE, DG REGIO.
- Contribution to on-going studies, both directed by Euromontana and otherwise.
- Organisation of events: organise Euromontana events and project events such as European Mountain Conventions and/or project conferences and various seminars and working sessions.
You have a tertiary education degree (Masters level, minimum 5 years), in domains matching your future responsibilities (such as in agriculture, food, forestry, rural development, innovation or mountain development, EU policies), with previous relevant experience of 5 to 10 years. Experience should be related to either a sector that is relevant to mountain development, such as territorial development policy, lobbying and advocacy, EU project development or network coordination at national level or European level. A thorough understanding of European policy making will be necessary (including CAP and Cohesion Policy).
You have an excellent professional command of both French and English, the two working languages of Euromontana both of which you will have to use in your daily communication without support from the team. You have a very good command of Microsoft office tools (including the manipulation of calculation tools such as Excel).
Dynamic, enthusiastic and motivated, you will know how to get fully involved in your function of leader, face a heavy workload and face unexpected challenges. You have a strong sense of prioritization and can effectively organize your own time taking into account interaction with other staff members and members of the network.
You can easily appropriate the values of your organisation to carry them out politically, consolidating your messages with scientific arguments. Open-minded, you have excellent relational skills and can interact in a positive way with counterparts from different cultures and backgrounds, on complex political subjects. You have excellent written and oral communication, EU project development/management, analysis, synthesis and negotiation skills.
Comfortable in a small organization (less than 5 persons), you are not afraid of multitasking and are solutions-oriented.
Timing & Conditions: Start: 7th January 2022 at the latest.
Contract type: 1 year contract under Belgian law, possibilities of long-term contract afterwards
Job location: Euromontana Brussels office, with frequent travels in Europe.
Remuneration: 4000€ as gross salary under Belgian Law (with 13° month and “pécule de vacances”) – Complementary insurance scheme (health and pension) – professional phone – Tickets restaurant.
Interviews: end of October / November 2021
Application by 20th October 2021 to: Marie Clotteau, Director at: email@example.com – with object of the email mentioning “Interim Director Euromontana – Your name”, including:
- a concise CV (Europass format not compulsory)
- a maximum 2-page letter in which you will explain why you are interested in sustainable mountain development, what you see as major challenges for these territories in the future and how you think you can contribute to them. Only targeted applications will be analysed. Please note that candidatures will be treaded on a 1st came 1st served basis.
Please use the function «ask for a receipt of reception » of your email if you wish to make sure the email has been received.22 September 2021