5 fields of study
In order to get a full picture of the perceptions of mountain quality food products, the project will focus on the 5 following fields:
WP1: Consumers’ perception of mountain quality-food products
The main objective of WP-1 is to check the European consumers’ interest, perception and expectations towards quality-food products coming from mountain areas. Thus, WP-1 aims at:
- Measuring the actual interest of mountain quality-food products expressed by the European consumers,
- Assessing the perception and expectations of European consumers for mountain quality-food products as defined in the European Charter for Mountain Quality Food Products,
- Identifying specific segments of consumers sensitive to mountain quality-food products consumption,
WP2: Survey of retailing of mountain quality-food products
The objectives of WP2 are as follows:
- To contribute to the project’s theoretical and methodological frameworks,
- To identify the range of mountain quality-food products for analysis in the study countries,
- To conduct a survey of retailers that will identify and analyse: the marketing channels that are and could be used for mountain quality-food products; retailers’ interest, perceptions and expectations of mountain quality-food products; the marketing attributes of mountain quality-food; and factors inhibiting the development of the marketing of mountain quality-food products,
- To propose strategies to improve and expand the marketing of mountain quality-food products,
- To synthesise the empirical findings from each country, and proposed strategies, into a report.
WP3: Survey of food supply chain actors’ strategy towards mountain quality-food products
WP-3 will consist of an analysis of various supply chain actors focusing on their perceptions and related strategies towards mountain quality food products. Therefore the main objectives of WP3 are:
- To analyse the use of the “mountain” resource in the business strategies of various actors along the food supply chain,
- To explore the interest of local and European food supply chain actors towards mountain quality-food products,
- To analyse the cohesiveness of different quality perceptions on mountain food products from the producer to the final marketing institution and its influence on the transparency of mountain quality products to the end-consumer,
- To identify possible bottle-necks and constraints along the supply chain in order to emphasise the opportunities offered by certain types of distribution channels according to different types of mountain food products,
- To explore needs and challenges for the promotion of mountain quality products along the supply chain and to formulate possible support strategies regarding an improvement of coherence and transparency for these products,
- To contribute to recommendations for the definition of a mountain European label, taking into account the practices and attitudes of the supply chain actors relating to these products.
WP4: Local initiatives case studies oriented towards mountain quality-food products
According to the specific objectives of the project at hand the guiding objective will be to identify factors for success or failure in local initiatives devoted to marketing of mountain quality-food products.
- In order to do so the main aim within this WP will be to test whether and how far LEADER provides a basis for supporting (in the first place) the supply side of local food chains in mountain areas,
- WP-4 will therefore consist of an analysis of territorial local initiatives (Inside and outside the LEADER programme) oriented towards marketing of mountain food products
- The combination of product and rural development (food as a cultural marker) building on WP1 & WP2 will have to be considered.
The work plan of this WP will include the assessment of some LEADER LAGs (Local Action Groups) dealing with operations in local marketing initiatives in mountain areas and the assessment of some local initiatives not being involved in LEADER, but also offering marketing initiatives in mountain areas.
WP5: Mountain policy framework: Rural development, quality food, labelling, regional policy
WP-5 will consist of screening of EU or national policies dealing with mountain areas development and regional policy. The main objective of WP 5 is to clarify the policy framework with regard to all stages of the mountain agrifood process, from production to distribution. Thus, WP 5 aims to:
- Review existing policies of the European Union and selected national entities in the fields of rural and regional development and agriculture in order to evaluate potential contributions to the production, processing, marketing, and distribution of mountain quality-food products, as well as divergences which need to be addressed,
- Review existing policies of the European Union, selected national, and industrial entities with regard to the promotion and labelling of local and quality food, particularly from mountain areas and to consider them in the context of WTO policies,
- Identify synergies and discrepancies between the above policies in order to make recommendations regarding the alignment of policies to foster the production, processing, marketing, promotion and distribution of mountain quality-food products in Europe.
You can downlaod here the documents produced in the framework of EuroMARC.
- Guidelines for stakeholders of the mountain food supply chains and related sectors (tourism, extension services…)
- Policy recommendations for local/regional, country and European level
The project results have been presented and discussed during two public events : a seminar held in Brussels (06/11/2008) and the final conference of the project in Maribor, Slovenia (3-4/12/2009).
Proceedings of the events available in the document’s page