On Thursday 19 July 2018, the Romanian President signed the decree passing the Mountain Law.
The Mountain Law includes the following chapters:
- The delineation of the mountain area and of the mountain ranges;
- The institutional framework specific to the development of the mountain area;
- Infrastructure and mountain territory planning;
- Economic and social development in the mountain area;
- Protection and development of the mountain environment, preservation of the biodiversity;
- Education, professional training and research in the mountain area;
- Culture and mountain heritage;
- The program to support the activities in the mountain area.
Long awaited by the Romanian mountain communities, the law comes to regulate the ways to protect and develop the mountain area in an inclusive and sustainable manner, through: valorizing the human and natural resources, increasing the quality of living, stabilizing the population, increasing the economic power at local level, all while maintaining the ecological balance and protecting the environment.
Euromontana welcomes this new law and thanks its Romanian members for their hard work !
- The Romanian Mountain Law is available in English here